Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Timing

Two weeks. TWO WEEKS until I will be in India! Seriously, this is such an amazing opportunity and will be such an awesome adventure that I can't stop expressing how thankful I am to be a part of it.

God, honestly, has impeccable timing. I don't know what my life will hold within the next year, but He does, and He has planned it just so. My first semester as a global health student, after switching over from art, I was in a class titled "Women's International Health."I remember one day in that class, two years ago, a student came in and spoke briefly about IAPA and this magnificent volunteer program they had in India.  At that time, IAPA was still working with ASU to get the program approved as a for-credit internship, but I knew that day I heard the presentation, that I wanted to be a part of it. 

Two summers went by. The first, was consumed with summer school; the second, last summer, I went to South Africa and gained priceless memories and experience teaching vacation Bible school in the village of Shongweni. 
The younger children in the creche with their angel craft.
Me and my little follower, Awande. She'd hold my hand all day long.

The mural I designed and helped paint on the creche's chicken coup.
As this summer approached, I knew I had to choose my summer study abroad program to meet the requirements for my global health degree. All of my other choices were in amazing vacation destinations, Australia, New Zealand, London, but my heart was set on this program in India. The catch? The internship only accepted roughly 15 students from both ASU and UofA combined to participate. 

I applied, but didn't expect much. My quiet and often socially awkward personality isn't exactly a prime choice for a teaching internship in a foreign country. I was certain that I'd be outshined by much more charismatic and experienced candidates. But, perhaps they recognized my passion and excitement, because I was accepted, and thus this journey began!

That first glimpse of India happened two years ago, and in two weeks I will actually be there! Simply amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment