Thursday, May 31, 2012

Tumhara naam kiyahai?...."What is your name?"

Just a quick update of where I am now.....

Currently I am sitting in a dorm style hostel with our group of 7 pre-travellers escaping the blazing heat and humidity that is raging outside. We spent all morning at the Amber Palace where we met a young Indian boy who, instead of hassling us for money, wanted to practice his English. We talked to him for over an hour while the rest our group was exploring the palace. This is the true India that I want to get to know. He taught us some Hindi phrases (including some bad words, of course!), joked around, and treated us like regular people rather than bestowing upon us the celebrity status that comes with being white-skinned.

Us with Irshad Khan

Him wearing my sunglasses, me holding the paintings he was selling. 

He laughed when I told him my name because apparently "laura" sounds like "penis" in Hindi! Instead he gave me an Indian name, Afrhin. I want to continue doing "people" posts on the amazing people we have met on this journey. Irshad was one, but there have been so many more and I'm sure I will meet so many throughout this trip.

I have a lot of catching up to do with this blog....we have done so much in these last few days! It has only been a week since I left the US, but a single day feels like five with all the activity and the heat. Many more blog posts to come. Please check out my friend Hannah's blog as well! She has a great post on the spiritual celebration we stumbled onto last week. Here is the link: http://hannahlilygoestoindia.blogspot.in/2012/05/deck-of-cards.html

We have over a 26 hour train ride to Chennai tomorrow, so I plan to write some then. So long until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment