Saturday, September 20, 2014

From Desert to Sekakeng

After an anxious and nail-biting couple of weeks, the sites for Bots 15 were finally announced this past Thursday!

We all filed in through a balloon filled doorway into the "great hall," aka the multipurpose room of Serowe Teaching College, to take our seats and impatiently await our sorting, ahem, I mean placement throughout Botswana.




Taking a page out of Oprah's well-loved book, we were told to reach under our chairs to find a number #1-73! Following the order we each were given a secret envelope, read a proverb, and added our names to the map in our new home!



Being #58, my palms were sweaty and my heart racing by the time I was called. I read my proverb, "how you greet a stranger means more than the way you greet a friend in..." KANG!





I don't know much about it yet, but I'm excited! It is a village set in the middle of the Kalahari desert in the Kgalagadi district of Botswana. Its a village of about 5,000 people and I'll be replacing a Bots 12 who just completed service. As I'm a Clinic and Health Team worker, I'll be working in the clinic helping them with HIV/AIDS outreach, education, and service, while also helping to strengthen their capacity to provide for the community. Its also the home village of my favorite Setswana teacher!!

From the desert of Arizona to the desert of Botswana I'll be making lots of sand angels, sand globes, and sand art along with tending to many sunburns! It seems google didn't have much to say about Kang except,  "If your forte is for long and uneventful drives through a flat desert environment, then this is the journey for you."

On October 15th I will be sworn in as an official volunteer and move my life to my new home! Here's to the next two years!

No comments:

Post a Comment