Saturday, April 13, 2013

LIMBO


Not the fun “see how low you can go” kind, but the awful stuck between a time and a place kind.

Yesterday I received an email from the health placement desk. The excitement fluttering in my chest at receiving a potential invitation from the peace corps quickly changed to profound disappointment as I read the true content of the email.

My departure date is being pushed back to January, February, or March of 2014. This is because the notification date for my nomination has passed and I have yet to pass pre-medical or legal clearance. I have to respond within two weeks letting them know whether I want to continue or have them withdraw my application.

I have no clue why pre-medical clearance is taking so long for me! I submitted everything the day after I received the email requesting it. Every time I have contacted the Peace Corps asking about where my application was in the process I was always told that I was awaiting pre-medical clearance which they process based on departure date. 

 I had called the Peace Corps LA Regional Office two days ago and was informed that my application was in the legal clearance stage. I thought that perhaps I had passed pre-medical without an online update, but I guess not.

I am just caught up in a sweep of disappointment right now. An extra four-plus months isn’t the news I was looking for, but I know that the Peace Corps process takes time. Now its just wait, wait, wait. 




2 comments:

  1. sorry love, it is disappointing news, but just keep your head up! In the end, you will still get to be a PCV and have an amazing experience in an amazing country! (and hopefully in a country ur interested in!) Im set for Jan- March 2014 departure too.. but who knows i guess it could change. Only time will tell.. I wonder why they are so backed up with paperwork?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I knew going in that the process takes a while. I just got my hopes up a bit for August, but we'll see. The extra waiting is horrible, but once I become a peace corps volunteer it'll all be worth it!

    ReplyDelete